St. Julie Billiart     

   

 

 

 

Sisters of Notre Dame

 
The Sisters of Notre Dame trace their spiritual foundation to St. Julie Billiart in 1804.  St. Julie and her companions in Namur, France, gathered young women who devoted themselves to the catechesis and education of women and children, especially those living in poverty.  At the invitation of the Bishops of Cleveland and Covington, the German branch of the Sisters of Notre Dame, founded in 1850, responded by sending Sisters in 1874.

The Sisters of Notre Dame have membership of 2,100 sisters serving in eighteen countries: Brazil, China, England, Germany, Kenya, India, Indonesia, Italy, Mozambique, Netherlands, Nicaragua, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, South Korea, Tanzania, Uganda, United States of America and Vietnam.

Metro Catholic began in 1988 with the merge of 3 parish schools administered by the Sisters of Notre Dame:  St. Boniface, St. Michael and St. Stephen.  From the beginning the Sisters of Notre Dame of the Chardon Province have supported Metro Catholic with personnel and contributed services that cannot be measured.  There are currently 18 Sisters of Notre Dame in ministry at Metro Catholic School. 

In recent years the Sisters of Notre Dame have welcomed sisters of other religious communities in partnership at Metro Catholic.  Currently an Ursuline Sister serves on the Administrative Team and a Sister of the Humility of Mary works in the Advancement Office.